Playhouse Playmaker is our writing attachment scheme for playwrights
Led by award-winning playwright Clare Bayley, the Playmaker scheme provides a year-long mentorship to six emerging playwrights, supporting them in creating their own full-length plays through a rewarding programme of workshops and dramaturgy.
Meet our Playhouse Playmakers!
We are delighted to announce our talented selection of creatives for 2024.
Forming an integral part of the Oxford Playhouse family, we are thrilled to introduce this exciting group of emerging writers. Throughout the year, we’ll continue to share their progress as we support them on their artistic journeys.
How does the scheme work?
From January to June, the group meets in person on one Saturday per month, 10am to 4pm, at Oxford Playhouse. Sessions consist of practical writing exercises, discussion, feedback on scripts and peer group support, with guest playwrights and dramaturgs invited across the scheme to contribute a widened variety of styles and lived experiences to the process.
Our writers will be given the Summer to finalise a first draft, from which a ten-minute extract will be selected for the first performance of a rehearsed reading in our BT Studio as part of our Offbeat festival in September 2024.
What are the benefits of taking part?
- A small, focused group, with access to peer support
- Consistent timeline, with an expectation of kept deadlines
- Consistent dramaturgical support and feedback from Clare Bayley, with additional support from guest writers and dramaturgs
- Rehearsed-reading performance of first draft
- Free to take part, with financial contribution towards travel to Oxford
- Breakfast and lunch provided at monthly sessions
- Access to the OP network of artists, including beyond the timeline of the scheme
- Invitation to events and performances at Oxford Playhouse
- Opportunity to share and publicise work on our seasonal Artists Newsletter
Who can apply?
Our Playhouse Playmaker scheme is suitable for playwrights at any stage of their career, who have already completed at least one full play. You will benefit most from the scheme if you have had your work performed at least once.
This scheme is not suitable for beginners. Applicants must be aged 21+.
We particularly encourage applications from writers who are currently under-represented across the theatre industry, including those with protected characteristics. We would also value applications from writers based in, or with connections to, Oxfordshire.
How do I apply?
The application window for our 2024 cohort of writers is now closed. We will be opening the application window for our 2025 scheme in Summer 2024.
To apply to our Playhouse Playmaker scheme, applicants will be required to:
- Complete an online Application Form
- Submit one 20-page extract of a play you have written AND submit one example of a full-length play you have written
A shortlist of applicants will be invited to interview, to determine the final cohort.
If you would like any further information on our Playhouse Playmaker scheme, please get in touch: [email protected]