TORCH and Oxford Playhouse Open Call for artists
Deadline Monday 24 August 2020
Application form: HERE
Oxford Playhouse and TORCH are inviting applications from artists and freelancers to create a piece of work for the Oxford Playhouse at Home Autumn Season.
This Open Call is for up to £2000, for South East based theatre or live art-makers to create work at home, for an audience who are also at home.
For accessible versions of this information, please refer to the Opportunity Information box to the side or bottom of this page.
What we are looking for:
- Proposals for new work that can be made within a £2000 budget and created for an audience who are at home. This may include work live streamed from the theatre or elsewhere. Please note that you can use some pre-existing material – your own or others’ (as long as you have permission) – but it needs to be work that is new to the public.
- Work that can be made available to audiences online through Oxford Playhouse and TORCH’s website.
- Work that is of any length, and in whatever form you like – video, audio, text, visual, a PowerPoint presentation, instructions for a game, a live-streamed performance, a personalised phone call… whatever you want to do. We will then figure out a way to make it happen to the best of our abilities.
- Work that can ideally be delivered to us within a four-week delivery deadline. We appreciate that everyone is dealing with very different circumstances, so we are happy to discuss this with you individually.
What we will offer;
- Editing and technical support from OP staff
- Mentoring and dramaturgy support
- To be part of the Oxford Playhouse Season
Who can apply?
- Artists living in the South East or studying at a University in the South East
- Artists working in any artform that can be delivered within the brief.
- Individuals or companies, of any level of experience – though you will need to demonstrate some experience.
- We also welcome proposals from those who are under-represented in the arts.
How it works:
- Artists should apply through the open submissions process – see details below.
- Up to £2000 commission fee is fixed and covers development and delivery of the entire project. You are free to use it as you wish, whether that is for purchasing resources, paying other people to work with you, or paying yourself for your time and work.
- Selected commissions will be developed with support from Oxford Playhouse’s creative team and hosted on our website for audiences to pay-what-they-decide. We believe that this is the best model for encouraging audiences to value the work they access online, but without creating financial barriers.
- Income from each work will be split equally between OP and the commissioned artist.
- We want to make all work as accessible as possible. OP will provide audiences with captioned and audio described versions of each work as required and we will supply content warnings where appropriate. Our team at OP will discuss any interpretation or modifications needed with you.
- We encourage proposals for work in British Sign Language
- If you have any access requirements, please let us know and we will be happy to provide whatever you need.
Ensure that you meet the criteria, please complete a brief written proposal (approx 750 words) found here.
This will ask you for the following;
- Your name and postcode.
- A little bit about you and the work you make (approx 300 words)
- Links to examples of your previous work.
- An outline of what you would like to do and how you would do it (approx 450 words)
- Any support you might need from OP and TORCH
- How much you will require and a very brief breakdown. See example below.
If you are Deaf and communicate in British Sign Language, we welcome applications sent in video format of no more than five minutes in length via WeTransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have other access requirements and are unable to send a written application or a BSL application, please send us an audio file of no more than five minutes in length again to email@example.com